Tuesday, December 28, 2004

rationality

When I read my post from yesterday--reminiscences--one thing strikes me: that when I am feeling good and stable as I am right now, I read the words I wrote when I was down, and I shudder with self-consciousness and embarassment. It seems so self-indulgent and pathetic, talking of terror of abandonment, these kind of fears which one either does not have at all or at the very least outgrows in adulthood. So there are two of me. One is confident, accomplished, blah blah blah. The other is a quivering mess.

But all these concerns pale in the face of the disaster in Asia. Watching the news last night with tears streaming over my face, I feel helpless and want so badly to do something. It seems that the world is convulsing in a show of grief, trying to express something, and that maybe these awful deaths are not totally in vain. Contrast this destruction to that which our president and his henchmen have unleashed in Iraq. This is horror too. At least a tsunami is an act of nature, a show of terrifying force that no man can control. Bombing innocent people in the name of "democracy" is loathsome, criminal, and has no justification in nature.

No comments: