Saturday, January 22, 2005

The Evil State

I call Pennsylvania, the state of my birth and where I lived until I was eighteen, the "Evil State." There are numerous reasons. The first, and most basic, is that the letters E,V,I and L are found in the word Pennsylvania. This is not true of any other state. Also, Pennsylvania is like an anomaly on the east coast. With the exception of mostly-liberal Philadelphia, it is conservative, repressive, and provincial. It is, as I always say, a part of the midwest that has somehow finds itself in the east. If you don't believe me, go and spend some time there.

I still go there relatively frequently. My sister and her family, with my three wonderful nephews, live there, as does Cristi, my best friend, and Mimi, her regal and wondrous partner.

No comments: