Thursday, February 17, 2005

Buddha Mind

I bought a book today at the Whitney Museum. It is called BUDDHA MIND IN CONTEMPORARY ART, published by University of California Press. A group of artists and art professionals (critics and professors) carried out a project over several years in which they investigated the influence of Buddhism on American art, and numerous exhibitions were held in conjunction with it. There are interviews with a number of artists including some of my favorites: Marina Abramovic, Bill Viola and the conceptual artist Rirkrit Tiravanija, who did some work a few years back in which he cooked dinner for a bunch of guests and that was the "piece." I am eager to read it, for this has been a subject of some fascination for me ever since I read John Cage's IN SILENCE back in college.

1 comment:

b said...

i like the piece " five angel of the millenium" by bill viola; That video is awsome. it worths 12 bucks to see it