Saturday, February 12, 2005

view from above, MOMA


view from above, MOMA
Originally uploaded by madabandon.
All my life I have had a few phobias, the most extreme of which is my fear of heights. But I have also repeatedly, and perhaps perversely, challenged this fear, almost at every opportunity. So, while on the fifth floor of MOMA, I had to walk along this hallway that is bordered on one side with a glass wall about four feet high. It is a straight drop down to the ground floor. I decided I would take a picture. As I approached the glass I felt a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach and my adrenalin begin to rush; my arms tingled as they used to do before I had a big performance. The "fight or flee response," I think it is called. This is appropriate in my case, because when I am in a high place, I have this feeling that I am going to be pulled over the edge.

No comments: