Tuesday, May 31, 2005

self-analysis

sculpture (1)

I am not usually inclined to analyze my own work. I spend enough time analyzing myself that I have no desire to do so with my creative work. And while in school, particularly in graduate school, I spent countless hours analyzing the music of others, and learned after all that that artists are best not going there with their own work.

But after photographing this sculpture today, it occurred to me that it is full of danger. The sharp edges, so many of them, point in all directions, waiting for a victim. It is angry, maybe, but also enticing and mysterious to the eye. Or does this piece represent the danger that I struggle with, the fear of sinking? The spikes and protruding spears are a warning to me: don't fall, keep your balance!

Whatever the answer, whatever the analysis, I find it beautiful in the end, which is all that really matters to me.

2 comments: