Friday, May 27, 2005

ugh

distortion

This has been a fairly hideous day, mostly because I feel like shit. I have not been able to eat. I have a fever. I can't sleep because my stomach hurts. So I have spent the day in a kind of limbo. My plan was to go swimming, to take a walk, to take Mabel to the park. But I could do none of it. Oh well. The people in the house next door, sitting on their deck, kept up incessant chatter that made me want to scream. That's the problem with good weather. People lucky enough to have decks (not me!) actually use them. Strangely, for years the beautiful brownstone next door has sat, its top-floor apartment's elegant wooden deck devoid of human life. But this year new people moved in, and they apparently are doing what the previous tenants avoided: sitting outside. Sometimes they even eat there. The previous tenants even had the whole thing done, with elaborate plantings. Then they never used it! It's the same thing with all the houses along the Promenade with their arge decks, beautiful porches with expensive outdoor furniture, and never a human in sight.

No comments: