Sunday, July 31, 2005

"mysterious skin"

dunes

I saw this movie "Mysterious Skin" this afternoon. I had read the novel on which it is based several years ago--mid 1990s maybe--and found it beautiful and disturbing. The movie, directed by Gregg Araki, was beautiful and disturbing as well. The actors were fantastic. Elisabeth Shue, who is around my age and was a sort-of-cutesie teen type until she made "Leaving Las Vegas" (which I could not watch because I despise Nicholas Cage more than words can describe) plays the mother of the hustler character and she is incredible, so touching and horrible and weak and sweet all at once. The movie can make you feel queasy. I have seen all of Gregg Araki's films and found the earlier ones always interesting but sometimes too lacking in any subltety for me. But here he has found the balance. But I won't recommend it unless you want to see something profoundly unnerving. And you might cry, and you might vomit; all depends on how you respond. Now I am babbling...

No comments: