Monday, July 25, 2005

what happened?

According to my mother, I was never a "happy" baby. I cried constantly. I did not like to be held, and would squirm and wriggle to escape the arms of whoever tried. I would climb over the railings of my crib as soon as I was strong enough and fling myself over the side, preferring the violent shock of hitting the floor to the confinement the enclosed space. Remember play pens? I refused to stay in and would climb up the side or scream and carry on so much that I would be removed. I was ill frequently, almost succumbing to pneumonia at one year, and at three having some horrible kidney infection. I would get intense headaches and bang my head against the wall. I ran away from school and from home. Clearly something was wrong with me. Considering these inauspicious beginnings, I think I have turned out better than what might have been expected. But interestingly, I don't really think much WAS expected. We were treated somewhat like pets: feed them and give them a place to sleep and nature would run its course. So what sort of animal am I?

No comments: