Friday, August 26, 2005

craziness

From THE NEW YORK TIMES:
So far, American consumers have proved surprisingly resilient to the higher energy prices. Despite the rise in gasoline costs, in recent weeks they have still been buying Detroit's gas-guzzling sport utility vehicles, in large part because of deep discounts offered by American automakers.
I noticed that in Vermont most people drove cars. Not huge SUVs. Vermont is one of the most liberal and "green" states. So why do all these New Jersey suburbanites need huge SUVs that get fifteen miles to a gallon? It makes me so crazy.

I had a discussion once with the driver of a Chevy Tahoe, one of the larger SUVs. She said she drove it because "she felt safe" in it. I suggested that her safety came at great expense: to the environment, not only because of the wastefulness of a large vehicle for daily use but also because SUVs emit far more pollution than cars; to the drivers of regular cars who might collide with the huge SUV and who would surely be crushed by the behemoth. She was not persuaded by my points. I think people are selfish, and lack altruism. What's good for me is good for me, they think.

No comments: