Thursday, September 08, 2005

the apple doesn't fall far from the tree

from a letter in today's New York Times:

To the Editor:

While touring the Astrodome in Texas, which is being used as a relocation site, Barbara Bush, the president's mother, made a comment that rivals "Let them eat cake" in its arrogant and clueless insensitivity.

"And so many of the people in the arena here, you know, were underprivileged anyway," she said, "so this is working very well for them" (news article, Sept. 7).


I always disliked Barbara Bush, when her husband George H.W. was president. She reminded me of ladies I knew from Pennsylvania; affluent, foul-mouthed, heavy smokers and drinkers, who treated people rudely and gossiped relentlessly.

Her remarks disgust me but do not surprise me at all.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

That was right on.