Monday, September 05, 2005

Eating

First I was late leaving. Then I got to Court Street and the R train was not stopping there. So I went to Borough Hall at Joralemon Street to take the 4-5. When I got there I found that I had picked up an expired metrocard from my desk, and had to buy a new one, although I had just bought one Saturday. Then I waited ten minutes for the train. Transferring to the local at Brooklyn Bridge seemed like a sure thing, as a 6 train was waiting. But it took ten minutes to leave the station. I was late to meet Bao. We went to Dok Suni where I used to go years ago when I was doing shows and rehearsing at PS122. I ordered a dish that was the hottest thing I had ever eaten. I love kimchi and Korean food but this was like the chef had taken a whole jarful of that red hot pepper sauce and dumped it in a bowl. I ate a little and could eat no more; I was sweating from the heat of the food.

We discussed depression and I didn't explain very well that sometimes, like a change in a weather pattern, I just am overwhelmed by a feeling of hopelessness, like nothing means anything, even when I can rationally understand that it's not true. Some people have troubles and never get depressed; come people have relatively few "troubles" and are depressed all the time. I said that in Vermont I felt better, more calm and more peaceful, and that the city was wearing on me. After all I am a country boy at heart. Bao was skeptical about me living in Vermont. He suggested that I try it out for a long period without committing; i.e. don't sell the apartment but sublet. A very good idea.

When I was going home, the R train stopped between stations and sat for fifteen minutes. I had drunk a beer and lots of water (trying to recover from the food) and I thought my bladder would burst. And there was a guy who appeared "normal," a college student maybe, who started talking to himself in a wildly animated way. He was sitting across the aisle from me and I tried not to look but it was adding to my agitation. My life is ruled sometimes by logistical difficulties. But I try not to let them get to me. It just seems that they really pile up sometimes.

1 comment:

Digby said...

I get depressed too, mostly it's irrational. Little things can set it. Thankfully, today, as quickly as the depression comes, it also goes, whereas when I was younger it never seemed to leave. I try to take accept the depression when it does come...however irrational it is, and for me I've found welcoming that empty feeling alows me to open up to the good times more fully. But we're all different...so who knows. Hang in there.