Sunday, September 04, 2005

tech support

My internet connection has been screwy since late last week. I keep getting disconnected, and sometimes I can't connect. I use a Macintosh and am quite well-versed in its workings, so I diagnosed things enough to tell me that the issue was not my computer, but most likely with the Earthlink network. I called Earthlink tech support to verify. The woman had me adjust some settings, but the problem persisted. I called again twice yesterday and explained that I had done all the testing and resetting myself and that I wanted to report a network problem. Another woman had me reset and adjust settings again (which I had already done; see above). The problem persisted. Finally this morning I called again, and the woman I spoke with (I think she was from India, or the Philipines) actually listened as I explained that I had already reconfigured my connection (several times!). So she did what I had asked all the others to do, and looked at the network and determined that there were "intermittent connection problems" across the network. That is what I had been trying to find out since Friday. So many phone calls...I try to be very patient with these kind of calls, because I imagine the phone helpers get a lot of rude irritated people screaming at them.

But it does make me want to scream, sometimes. I was thinking, this morning, that I hate the internet sometimes. It seems life was a lot easier before email and the internet and cellular phones. Even before answering machines...

No comments: