Tuesday, November 22, 2005

work

Some years ago, a few years after I had finished graduate school, I made the fateful decision that I would not compose except on commission. I figured that it would become a self-fulfilling prophecy, leading to a steady stream of commissions. And mostly that has been true. Of course if I had to support myself on my composing income I would starve, but I have had ongoing composing obligations. Lately, though, I have realized something: sometimes I am not that into the pieces I am obligated to write. And so I go for long dry spells where I don't get much work done.

Thus I have decided to compose pieces that are not commissioned alongside my commissioned work. This keeps my composing chops in shape, and helps me feel productive. And then, when these "spec" pieces are done, I can shop them around. I find the "shopping around" part distasteful, but I guess it is necessary.

presto

No comments: