Thursday, December 29, 2005

crowds

I was walking to Union Square along 14th Street, a little freaked out by how crowded it was. I get used to the calm of my neighborhood, and since Manhattan is at its most crowded this time of year, and I don't like crowds, it is difficult. And Union Square is one of the most crowded places of all because of the shops and restaurants that cater to the twenty-something crowd. I was meeting R for coffee and to discuss depression and work (he is a writer). And then I looked up--I was listening to a message on my voice mail--and who do I see but B walking along. I smiled, motioned to him that I was still listening to the phone--and then hung up and we chatted very briefly; he was headed from the gym, going back to work. He was smiling a lot. He looked good. I like his longer hair. It made me smile, seeing B. I like to see people I know in Manhattan since it always seems such a novelty. And B seemed so happy, in a good mood. And that made my mood better too.

No comments: