Saturday, December 24, 2005

List Item No. _____

One of the worst things about me is that it takes very little to make me think badly of myself. As though I am a glance away from eternal punishment. Where the hell does this come from? It seems Jungian, maybe? I am not well-educated in the various psychoanalytical theories, although I do know something about Freud and just took the COMPLETE WRITINGS OF SIGMUND FREUD off of my shelf and onto my reading pile. Let's see if I can focus long enough to read some of it.

Speaking of reading, can anyone recommend something for me to read? I would prefer fiction, but am open to all suggestions. It just has to be intelligently written.

2 comments:

maddog said...

Yes -
try The Seville Communion, or The Dumas Club, both by Arturo Perez Reverte, or Shadow of the Wind, by Carlos Ruis Zafon.
Dumas Club was made into a movie called The Ninth Gate but don't let that put you off, it makes The Da Vinci code look like the feeble story it actually is rather than the publishing phenomenon it became. All three are beautifully constructed stories. I think.
Oh, you could try American Purgatorio if you haven't already - isn't John Haskell a neighbour of yours?
Stu

T.T. said...

I love 'And You Shall Know Our Velocity' by Dave Eggers. It's funny, intelligent and an easy read. And anything by David Sedaris cracks me up.