Tuesday, January 31, 2006

L'Opera

Last evening I went to the Met to hear THE MAGIC FLUTE. I attended with RT. At dinner we enjoyed lots of gossip about various people we know in common, writers-artists-musicians whose paths we have both crossed. The opera was crowded; this is one of the most popular operas, and perhaps Mozart's easiest. That said, I almost fell asleep many times. In half-sleep with my eyes closed I could focus on the music, the surprising tonal structure, and avoid the distraction of the hideous staging and set. The conductor managed to make the orchestra, one of the world's best, sound surprisingly wan and ragged in the overture. The singing was only competent, rarely exciting. Even still the audience went nuts after the Queen of the Night's aria, though she was flat and had a course tone when singing the high notes. I found the direction by Julie Taymor, and the garish Disney-esque sets, at odds with the music. Coming home at almost midnight, I almost wished that I had stayed home and chilled with my menagerie.

I have never been a rabid opera fan, but comparing last evening to the incredible riveting experience of WOZZECK a few weeks ago, I realize that in order to enjoy it I have to pick and choose carefully.

No comments: