Monday, January 16, 2006

presence

still life

I accomplished some good things this weekend. I rearranged my desk, replacing the glass top with a much larger black one; the glass is now on my dining table, expanding it and improving its shabby look. The desk gives me a better space for working. I also realized, while lamenting how absent-minded I am (always misplacing things then frantically, obsessively searching for them) that I rarely am focused on the thing I am doing while I am doing it. Instead I am thinking of something else. So I confuse myself. If I could be more present in the thing I am doing I could negotiate my life with less stress, I think. So I am trying now to think differently.

2 comments:

T.T. said...

A great book on presence is "The Power of Now" by Eckhart Tolle. I read it slowly so I could suck in everything - I've read it twice and I think I learn new things each time. It has definitely helped me be more in the 'now.'

medusa said...

That's interesting - my neice, who is bipolar, has a real problem with enjoying the moment. She can be in the middle of a play date with a friend and can't relax and have fun because she gets fixated on planning the next play date - the next thing is always more important to her than the current one.