Tuesday, March 21, 2006

data

I have been taking antidepressants for the last twelve years at least. I have also taken various other medications for the bipolar component of my messed-up head. The medication has given me a tremor, diagnosed a few years ago. The current medication combo I am taking seems to have the tremor much worse to the point where I am hesitant to use my right hand if anyone is watching, it shakes so badly sometimes. Also something else very strange is happening. I am having difficulty speaking. I know the words in my head; I have always been a good speaker, articulate, with a large vocabulary and a "way with words." Now when I try to talk certain words--most of them utterly familiar to me--baffle me and I cannot form the sounds. I stammer and can't get the word out until I pause, take a breath, concentrate, and then say word slowly as if I am saying it for the very first time. Of all the side-effects I have experienced over the years, these two are the most troubling, and the speech thing is the most troubling of all. If I can't speak, how can I teach? And if I can't teach, how will I eat?

I am seeing my doctor tomorrow and I will ask her. I hope she can at least speculate on what is going on, although I suppose only a neurologist can really tell.

No comments: