Thursday, March 23, 2006

a history

I began writing this blog in December of 2004. B had sent me a message directing me to the blog he had started--he was inspired by T's blog--and, reading his first entries, I was inspired to begin my own. I had been thinking about embarking on this kind of thing for some time, but I needed a kick to get me going.

Reading B's blog, and beginning my own, was like leaping off a cliff. I did not realize that at the time. But soon I became so wrapped up in my own blog that it was like an obsession. Like most obsessions it had its dark side. I set off on a path that brought me tremendous pain, and harmed me in my life. Y had only returned from Japan for a few weeks and we were still getting back to our old selves when I became noticeably troubled and preoccupied. I did not keep the blog a secret for I knew that was a stupid thing to do.

This blogging, reading and writing, sent me reeling back to an emotional state that I had worked very hard to get past; the previous summer, the same emotional state almost killed me, so desperate I was for escape that all I could think of was disappearing. In those first weeks, that state came roaring back. I became severely troubled, depressed, shaky. Y didn't say anything, but I know he was troubled by the change in me. I saw it all and yet I could not stop myself.

While I am constantly thinking about the past, my own history, there are some chapters that I would have erased if I could. I thought that I had put them behind me, that I had come to accept them. Blogging brought them back in all their troubling dimensions, with violent force. Blogging also brought back realizations and fears that I had overcome, or so I thought. Blogging became a curse in a way, and yet I was--and am--drawn to it as a form of self-expression.

I regard the start of my blog as the start of the death of my relationship with Y. I could not help myself, and he could not cope with me, and what he learned from reading my blog caused him upset and distress. I knew that it hurt him, and yet I had to tell the truth. I am not a good liar, I've never been a good liar, and many times I wished that I were a good liar. I mostly blame myself for the failure of what once was a wonderful, happy relationship, and even now when I think back on it I have wistful, happy memories that only make me more sad.

So I come to now. In the fall Y left for good. I could not do anything to save us. I was devastated and sunk, again, into a deep and overwhelming depression.

I am recovering now. But lately I have been thinking of finishing this blog. Maybe all this revisitation is bad for me. Yesterday I met with my psychiatrist and in talking, I realized how bound I am in the past, in this continuous self examination. Blogging has only increased this tendency. I am not sure what I will decide. But do not be surprised if I go "poof" and disappear.

5 comments:

madabandon said...

Thank you for your kind words. I am so uncertain right now, but also so fcked up that I am not capable of making any decisions. But I will make it clear what I have decided. I think your advice is excellent. I just don't know what to do. I too am shackled to the blog, but I am known for my self-destructive behavior, and this might just be another manifestation of it.

John said...

I've just bookmarked your flickr page in case you do disappear (I usually go there via your blog). I hope you don't go, though I would understand if you did, particularly if you feel the process of blogging isn't actually helpful to your state of mind.

It - blogging - surely has to be enjoyable in some way. It's somewhat disconcerting when you and lodgerlow speak of being shackled to your respective blogs, really as if it were a kind of compulsion or addiction.

And yet... it's only a couple of clicks to delete a blog, but it does seem like such a big step. Can I ask if you keep a private paper diary (I think LL may have alluded to one in passing). I don't.

I wish you well, and hope you feel better about things soon.

T.T. said...

:(
Whatever decision you make, I totally respect you for it. I will definitely miss knowing you through this medium.
I hope things get better...I'm sending good, beautiful vibes your way.
T.

medusa said...

I agree - what's important is what this means to you, not to those of us who feel we've gotten to "know" you through this medium, and you need to focus on your own health and strength. If you do close down shop, I'd miss reading your writings but know that you're likely better off for it.

medusa said...

and who knows, one day I might be wandering the Heights and recognize Mabel, and by extension you... although probably I would be too shy (and feel too stalker-ish) to say hello!