Thursday, March 09, 2006

turbulence

hudson on a cloudy day

The other evening I got a phone call from an administrator at a prestigious prep school here in NYC. He asked if I would be interested in a position. I won't give details, but it is a "higher-up" position than I currently have, and I am certain that it will pay substantially more than I am paid now.

I am interested and we will talk next week.

It made me sit down and assess my current job. I thought of the reasons that would impel me to leave. My conclusions were complex. Suffice to say that while I love my students and my colleagues in my department as well as many throughout the school, we faculty are treated shabbily by many administrators. We all have our stories to tell. But I am taking steps to clarify some things, and I know that I will leave if certain changes are not made.

This has caused me a great deal of turbulence. After all, I have been at my school for many years, happily. I was not looking for a new position. I was in a very similar position at this time last year, and I decided to stay where I was. What will I decide this time?

No comments: