Thursday, May 04, 2006

explanations (partial)

Budeprion is the drug name for wellbutrin. It is a non-SSRI antidepressant. SSRI antidepressants tend to make me manic.

Lamictal was first use as an anti-convulsant but has been shown to be effective for bipolar depression. It does not increase episodes of mania and so is good for people like me (and it does work although I want to stop it).

Trazodone is an antidepressant with very strong sedative action. Without it I barely sleep. I have tried many times to stop taking it but for years I had horrendous insomnia and lack of sleep is very bad for bipolar folk. It causes intense mania.

Clonazepam is an anti-anxiety drug. I take it sparingly, as it is not without its addictive qualities.

I no longer know where I am in all this which is why I wish to stop. But it is like walking a tightrope when I stop, at least as I know it from previous experience.

No comments: