Wednesday, June 07, 2006

hold on tight...

My hypomanic mood has lasted for a few days now. It started with the welcome news that my medical situation is not alarming. I will be checked out at the end of the summer. My doctor was absolutely correct in taking this very seriously, but it is not as bad as was first thought. Then two nights of little sleep (allergies and Patsy were to blame) have put me across the line. Today I did something that now, thinking back on it, alarms me. I was walking Mabel. There was a white Hummer parked on my street. I saw a slim well-dressed blonde woman walk up to it, get inside, start it up, and move it to the other side of the street. I walked up as she was getting out of the car. "Hey," I said. She looked at me. "Is anyone in your family fighting over in Iraq?" I asked her. She looked puzzled. I continued "because I sure hope someone is, considering that you are driving that thing." To her credit, she didn't scream at me, didn't laugh, but engaged me seriously. She told me that it was the new model, the H3, and that it cost her $40 to fill the tank. She said that a lot of cars do worse, pointing to a large shiny new BMW nearby. I couldn't believe she was so reasonable (although I think it must cost more that $40 to fill that tank because it costs me almost the same). Then I looked at the Hummer, and I noticed it had Pennsylvania plates. She was not from here. And just a short time ago, taking Mabel out for her last walk, the Hummer was gone.

No comments: