Saturday, September 23, 2006

yikes

I had an oddly annoying experience this morning. I went to a car dealer, one whom I had contacted last week, to see about replacing my car. I had made it clear that I did not want a brand-new car, but a late-model used car. But from the moment I walked in the door they pulled out every trick they had to get me to buy a new one. I resisted quite effectively, but I was shocked by the aggressiveness of their approach. While I may be naive in this regard--I have heard of the unpleasant experience most people have at the dealers--I guess I was not really prepared for just how ridiculous their tactics were. I told them, finally, that it was not my intention to buy a car that day, that I had made that clear when I scheduled the appointment, and that if they were not going to give the information I needed to make an informed decision they would never have me as a customer. In a perverse way it was amusing to watch them get more and more desperate only to see me say "thanks" and walk out the door. I will never go back there again.

No comments: