Wednesday, October 04, 2006

red glare


I had a horrible day yesterday. It started out fine. I moved my car (don't ask) and taught two classes. I had a two-hour break before my next student, so I went home and did some work, paid some bills, etc. Then I headed back to school to get some lunch (there is lunch for faculty, often quite good) and to see a piano student. When I walked into the faculty lounge a shrill voice screamed my name and proceeded to berate me. I won't go into the details but to say that there was a scheduling confusion, that I was supposed to be somewhere but had not been told, and that the person yelling is one of the most unpleasant people in the school. I have remarked before that I really like my colleagues generally. This person is an exception.

I was furious, although I betrayed nothing, and went off to attend to my responsibilities. Later on, after a very good meeting with an administrator who had actually witnessed the encounter, I felt better. And I know that the matter will be addressed with the screamer. I am utterly responsible in my work, and it is clear to everyone that I would not blithely ignore some assignment. But these things do not occur to the screamer. She treats us like we are children, bad children. It's a good thing I am a strong believer in karma.

But still that little episode just plunged me into a deep dark mood. Some people would let it roll of of them. But I already had little respect for the yeller, and to have her treat me as she did felt like an injury. I only wish the head of the school had been there to witness it. There would have been some real fallout.

No comments: