Thursday, November 09, 2006

political


I used to be apolitical. As a college student, I annoyed my politically-minded friends with my apathy. But ever since the days of Clinton's second term, when he was so vilified by the Republicans, I became more and more concerned with the state of affairs in the US, and I became deeply concerned about how political maneuvers affect society. After Bush became president, I found myself engaged almost daily in finding out what was happening in national and international affairs. And since 9-11 I found myself, not surprisingly, caught up in the outrage with Bush's bellicose war-mongering.

I am very pleased that the Democrats have taken control of congress. It is high time that Bush and his cronies were stopped. I am cautiously optimistic that things are going to get better. And most of all, I am glad that our system still does work; that people do have some power, because in the last few years it seemed like we were just plain hijacked, and liberal-minded people like me felt an awful kind of helplessness, compounded when Bush won a second term. So let us keep our political awareness alive, and never let such abasement of our nation's principles happen again. And, as I wrote yesterday, let us impeach President Bush. He deserves worse, but it is the best we can hope for.

No comments: