Sunday, January 14, 2007

surprises


ruins
Originally uploaded by madabandon.

So Friday afternoon I drove with Y to Philadelphia to visit C and go to the Kimmel Center, Philadelphia's acclaimed new concert hall, to hear Marc-André Hamelin give a recital. I don't often write about music on my blog (oddly) and I won't say much about the concert other than to comment that Hamelin possesses one of the most formidable techniques I have ever witnessed. I don't always go for his interpretations when he plays standard repertoire--this time my favorite Beethoven sonata, the Opus 109 in E Major, one that I love to play myself--and the rest of his program consisted of more obscure but highly interesting virtuosic works. The Kimmel Center is beautiful. Although it is a bit "corporate" looking, (the main hall, where the amazing Philadelphia Orchestra plays, is called "Verizon Hall"), the acoustics are nice and it has a relaxed, comfortable vibe.

I am amazed at these ruined buildings near C's house. They are so beautiful and scary and sad.

No comments: