Friday, February 02, 2007

cracked


lamppost
Originally uploaded by madabandon.

Yesterday, despite my ear infection, I had an extremely busy day. Meetings, rehearse with students, rehearse with colleagues, teach, more rehearsal--this time with my quartet for Monday's concert--errands and then finally, home to bed. My new piece sounds good. Some complications with ensemble issues. But the jazz rehearsal left me feeling glum. We had to use a small room upstairs, one with a really beat Yamaha upright, and I pounded my fingers until they literally were bleeding. And my playing did not feel loose; I felt stilted. And spacey, due to my exhaustion. The only saving grace is that generally when I have a bad rehearsal the performance goes well (and vice-versa). And I will have to practice a lot this weekend so that I actually have some real ideas when I perform.

3 comments:

about a boy said...

wheres that lamppost? i know ive seen it or at least one very similar?

SHE said...

if this makes you uncomfortable i'll edit it out, but had to sing your praises and share a piece of art from california

http://www.shesayswithasmile.blogspot.com

madabandon said...

That lamppost is in front of Cooper Union, at Astor Place. There are a bunch like it in the east village...a legacy from the 80s, when e.vill. was not one giant nyu dorm. ah, the old days...