Thursday, April 14, 2005

exploitation

My brother has a friend who has become quite wealthy owning a taxi business. He owns many medallions, and like most in this business, leases them to the drivers at exhorbitant rates. The drivers work in stressful conditions for long hours, and at the end of a good day they take home about $50. Meanwhile this guy collects expensive cars, lives in a huge Tribeca loft, and travels around the world, buying expensive watches. When my brother mentioned that the friend had just purchased a new Porsche, I said "nice that he can get rich off the backs of his drivers." My brother was disgusted with me, and said "there you go on your Marxist harangue" and I replied "someone has got to say it." The thought of someone so selfishly amassing wealth this way makes me sad.

No comments: