Wednesday, November 30, 2005

puke

Repulsive: listening to Shrub, the self-proclaimed "War President," speak to an audience of US Naval Academy students--under orders to clap, I am sure--explain how Iraq is the central front on the "Global War on Terror." He is beyond hopeless. It reminds me of those recitals that students give, when the audience of friends and family claps wildly. Of course they will, no matter how good or bad the performance may be.

And let me clarify something: I grew up in a military family. My father was a retired officer in the in the U.S. Navy, something of which he is very proud. My childhood summers were spent on a military installation. My friends were mostly from military families too. I am a pacifist, but I do believe that the servicemen and women fighting this war should be supported. They do something I would never and could never do, but they are trained to follow orders. That the orders they are following are issued for no true good reason (we are not defending our own country, after all) is the real horror.

No comments: