Friday, March 17, 2006

karma



This man is the CEO of Abercrombie and Fitch. Isn't he the scariest thing? He is, I believe, 61 years old. With dyed blond hair, a fake tan, wearing Abercrombie and Fitch of course. In the article I read from Salon.com he is quoted as saying (I paraphrase) that his company does not market to ugly people, under which category he counts fat people (surprise). A&F markets to the "cool kids." This man, who seems to stuck in late adolescence, says that there are cool kids and uncool kids, and people who wear his clothing must be of the former type. What an ass.

* * * * *

Yesterday I was discussing John Cage with one of my classes. Cage, a devout student of Zen Buddhism, made the idea of removing the will one of the basic tenets of his understanding of composition. From there we started to discuss religion in general. None of these students believed in heaven. I told them that I believe that when we die, we are gone. Our spirit, or soul, or whatever it is, lives in the memories of others. During our lives we should try to do good, because we become the repository of both our good and bad actions, and what you do comes back to you.

2 comments:

medusa said...

I had a friend who was obsessed with A&F, having bought into that whole "if you buy our clothes you are blessed with the cool stick." I had heard of their policy of only hiring the thin and the beautiful but even that didn't dissuade my friend, who admitted he liked being waited on by people who looked like models, because it made him feel like one. But I never quite understood how wearing mass-marketed clothes purchased in a store that's in every mall in America could make you feel superior to anyone else. I decided I'd never shop there, at least until they changed their hiring policies, but it's an empty threat, as I've never really seen anything in there I would wear.

T.T. said...

One of my favorite skits from 'Mad TV' is set in a mall. The skinny, bare-chested guy employees from A&F (only wearing jeans and scarves) were picking on the heavier, bustier women from Lane Bryant. The Lane Bryant women ended up kicking their asses! Power to the people!