Tuesday, April 25, 2006

busy

Today is my busiest teaching day. In addition, I have to move the car, which means I have to sit in it for one hour or else I will get a $65 parking ticket. I also had an appointment with the chiropractor, and oh how painful it was, but how much better I feel now!

my desk at work

Interspersed were trips home to walk Mabel (I only live a few blocks from the school) and various errands, xeroxing (new music for my students), and preparation for tomorrow, when a colleague from another school is going to come and watch my jazz classes.

** ** ** ** ** ** ** **

I have been reflecting for the last few days, at least, about gay men and sex and self-destructive behavior. So many guys are having unprotected sex; I hear about it from all sorts of publications, from guys I know, and from the surprising and upsetting increase in the number of gay men getting HIV. Now we have probably all had our lapses and our times of irresponsibility, but there are guys who knowingly and repeatedly put themselves at risk and even hope that they will get HIV. People say things like "I want to have fun while I can" or "I'm bound to get it sooner or later so who cares?" This upsets me a lot. I won't get all high-handed because I have been stupid and careless myself. But something has gone way wrong in the world--not just this, but so many other things too--and it bewilders me.

No comments: