Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Money and its Discontents...

I was talking to a colleague and she relayed a story to me. A parent of two students in our school complained to another mother that she had no privacy in her home because the nanny, the cook, the housekeeper and her private yoga instructor were always underfoot.

It doesn't take a genius to figure out a solution to her problem.

** ** ** ** **

The subject of money is difficult for me. Living in New York, one is constantly aware of the various layers of class and status determined by how much money one has. People here lead lifestyles that are foreign to my own experience, and I see them, teach them, work with them, and converse with them every day.

I don't resent their money, because I have chosen a path that will not lead to material wealth. But I think of the difficulties I have because of my financial situation--and many people have it far, far worse than me--and how the wealthy may have many problems of their own, but their anxieties are not about paying the monthly bills, or what happens if I get sick and can't work, or what happens if I lose my apartment, blah blah blah.

One thing that rankles, though, is the large number of artists who are independently wealthy. Many very successful composers I know have family money and support, and thus they can single-mindedly pursue the hustle that leads to performances, grants, record contracts, and the like. Those of us who have to earn our own living rarely have the time or energy to hustle (which is an almost full-time job in itself). It is easy to be an artist when you don't have to worry about how to pay the rent. At least I make my living through music. I don't have an office day job. For that I am thankful.

No comments: