Monday, June 26, 2006

le weekend

Friday night I went with Y, N, and H to BAM to see "Zabriskie Point," Antonioni's film about the American counter-culture. It was crowded and we got there too late to sit together. I was sitting at the far right, end of the aisle, too close to the screen, and so I had to assume an awkward position just to see. The theater was quite stuffy, and earlier, in the throes of a horrible allergy attack, I had taken benadryl. So my experience was confusing: I felt physically bad, and yet I was mesmerized by the images on screen. Whatever one may think about the contrivances of the plot etc., it is a visually stunning movie.

Saturday I was planning to go to PA to my younger cousin's graduation party--he finished college--but it was pouring rain and my spinning head (benadryl after-effects) made the idea of driving unattractive. So I didn't go. I feel somewhat guilty, but decided to let it go. And so I was able to go back to BAM, this tiime to see "L'Eclisse" ("Eclipse"), another Antonioni film shot in the year of my birth. This one was not as captivating although the lead woman was stunning and her almost-deadened affect charming for a while. Soon, though, I found myself wondering how much longer the movie could go on, and that is a very bad sign.

Sunday, another rainy day, I did almost nothing. I did make myself a bit ill by trying to drain the messed-up dishwasher by siphoning the water out, getting a mouthful of water mixed with dishwashing detergent, and feeling like I might have poisoned myself. After a rest, I felt better, so Y and I relaxed. We ate. We slept. That was that. I like the weekends, but I often feel as though I should be doing something that I am not.

No comments: