Wednesday, October 18, 2006

far


lake
Originally uploaded by madabandon.

Today was a difficult day. I slept fitfully last night and felt tired when I woke up. When I went out to walk Mabel an ambulance sat out front, lights flailing, pointing against the traffic (which meant it had come racing up my street going the wrong way on a one-way street) and the EMTs were loading my neighbor into it. He had a severe stroke and had somehow been able to call other neighbors, who had gone to his apartment immediately after calling 911. This evening he had surgery. He is a wonderful guy, ten years younger than my dad, a generous and kind man who always smiled when you saw him. I will see his smile again.

So, shaken, I had to finish AIFF files to send to my collaborators, so I mustered up my energy to do so. Then, half in a daze, I went to teach. I did so with manic energy, further exhausting myself. I came home, walked Mabel, and then went into Manhattan, to my brother's office in the Woolworth Building, to return the keys to his house. His office is in Johnny Cochran's firm; it is very nice, distinguished, more spacious and more posh than his former office. Then I got home around three and passed out for a while before waking up and moving the car at five.

I have felt a little crazy and a little tremulous today. Just two days ago I was thinking that it had been a long time since I felt my mood get whacked, and I think I jinxed myself.

No comments: