Wednesday, March 14, 2007

crunch


crunch
Originally uploaded by madabandon.

I feel the weight of many obligations on my tired shoulders. As I have probably written previously, I am over-committed, work-wise. Basically as it appears the dust will not clear until mid-May. I love my work, almost all of it, but I do not do well when I have many pressing obligations. I have a way of losing focus and seeing only the totality--which, looked at objectively, seems impossible to manage--rather than taking each task one at a time. So I feel a time crunch, and yet I am tired and am not able to get much work done the last two days. I keep trying to go to bed early to catch up on sleep, but somehow I end up staying awake past midnight.

This ad for the gym is on the side of the Crunch gym on DeKalb Avenue in Fort Greene. I walk past it frequently. Yet I only just noticed that it advertises "things to punch" as an attraction. Am I the only one who finds this odd and a bit unnerving? Do we want to encourage people to punch things?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I don't know - I think that I would quite like something to punch. It's such a primordial way of getting rid of tension, isn't it?

I have to share a funny story (a bit off-topic, though). When I visited the Roly Poly Man's flat a couple of days ago he showed me through his flat. Before I tell you what he had, I want to remind you of his build which is very short and round. In his spare room he had one of those massage belt things that you used to see in 1950/60 women's clubs. You know the things: they vibrate and you stand in front of it with the vibrating belt massaging all your blubber.

Anyway, I thought it was amusing to see one of these things, in a man's flat in deepest Scotland.

SHE said...

i'm with lodgerlow on this one.

yes, we want people to punch things; not other people

and the more opportunities we have for people to relieve stress/tension in safe, healthy and welcome ways; the better.