Wednesday, November 14, 2007

oh, i forgot...

This weekend--Sunday evening--I was watching "Pan's Labyrinth" and I had an epiphany. While it was a great movie on many levels, the gory violence was unbearable to watch and seemed utterly unnecessary to the plot: for example, the extended sequence in which one man's head is bashed in with a wine bottle and another man is shot point-blank. I realized that it is really bad karma to have such a thing in my apartment. I have never had any stomach for violence and always cover my eyes--or in this case, leave the room--when it happens on screen. But even to have it at all in my home is repugnant to me. What really scares me is that I can imagine a crowd at a cinema watching all of this while blandly eating their popcorn. There is something scarily wrong about that.

So no more violent movies--hear that, Netflix?--for me. Ever. And one must be vigilant, because even in the most promising films directors seem to have developed an urge to portray the most gruesome things on-screen.

2 comments:

SHE said...

(you bring me luck in your post time -thank you!)

this movie was just highly recommended by a friend.. i'd never seen or heard of it (or forgot if i have..)

thank you for preparing me/the violence was not mentioned

i can sometimes stomach violence; sometimes not. when i try to figure out why, i think the answer lies in your post

having to do with whether or not it is necessary to the plot; genuinely needed to make the writers/directors/producers point

as i read,

"What really scares me is that I can imagine a crowd at a cinema watching all of this while blandly eating their popcorn."

i think this: as people learn more and understand the impact images have on their brains

they will be as, or hopefully, even more, careful, than when protecting their skin from the sun

a lot of ignorance out there write now...

love, ~s.

medusa said...

she, the thing is for some people this movie wasn't excessively violent. I try not to watch violent films, so that I'm pretty much affected deeply whenever I see it. I think that too many people are numbed by the constant depiction of it on screen.

The worst experience I had was during "A History of Violence" which is very violent, but is also about the tragic and ever-reaching effects of violence. I made the mistake of seeing it in a large multiplex in the neighborhood (you know which I mean) and the crowd actually cheered during some of the most frightening parts. Cheered! Screamed in joy! I almost threw up.