Sunday, January 22, 2006

AFTER SO MANY TIMES YOU WILL NEVER UNDERSTAND

It is always a surprise, no matter
how many times it happens: in a city
of eight million people how is it that
you run into your friend on a crowded
street in early evening? That you are both
headed somewhere, in opposing directions,
purposeful. And yet, when you see each other
you stop for a graceful moment, smiling
and happy in this serendipity.

So then it is not a surprise that we are
more close than we suspect. You are
him to him as to me, but who might have
ever guessed it? A freak of geography. I decide
if to tell would leak a confidence, provide
another reason for sour dismay, lift
my heart from my chest, where it belongs,
to my throat where it struggles to escape.
Together (we know or not) we all dance.

No comments: